Friday, July 31, 2020

My Pre-Birth Story

They say it takes a village, to raise a child. My village came in place by my seventh month of pregnancy. It started with my ever helpful in-laws, relocating us to a new house, closer to the hospital. A week after they left, I experienced a complication. I tried hailing an Uber, but to no avail. My husband was out of town, thanks to his travelling job. My cook had just left for the day. And I didn't know my neighbours too well, as I had just shifted to our new apartment.

My pregnancy brain scrambled around a bit and I suddenly remembered my husband's friend Akshay, who lived a kilometre away from our house. I quickly dialed his number and panted into the phone, "Something's wrong with this baby". He replied with a "Wait right there. I'm coming in two minutes". I wobbled into the lift and walked outside the lobby to find Akshay running out of his car. He grabbed my hand and helped me get inside the passenger seat of his car. I don't remember the conversation we had, for the five minute car journey towards the hospital. He looked scared, yet nodded along vigorously to my incomprehensible babble. 

I was rushed to the emergency room of the hospital. As I lay down in a room full of strangers, all I could think about was having Theobroma's cheesy chicken quiche. I quickly called Akshay from the waiting room. His face still looked panic-stricken, but he covered his anxiety well with a goofy grin. He said, "Don't worry, I'm here if you need me". I replied with, "Can we go to Theobroma, after all this is over?". He looked dumbstruck, but replied with "Sure. Let's speak to your doctor first". 


Turned out I couldn't eat that quiche afterall, because I was hospitalized for the next four days. My husband took the first flight out to Bombay and reached the city late in the night. During the day, I had my old friend Vidhi and Akshay taking turns to baby-sit me in the hospital.

Everyone has an elaborate birth story to share with you.  What to take to the hospital on the delivery day, what to expect during the delivery, whether to take the epidural or not and so on and so forth. But this is my pre-birth story. There was so much drama around my pregnancy, Ekta Kapoor would be put to shame. 

Akshay is my family, so is Vidhi. I wouldn't have got through that horrific day, without both of them. Thank you for being Riaan's Godmother and father. You saved his life and mine. I know you don't expect anything from me. But, I'll never forget your kindness and I promise I'll always be there for you.  

1 comment:

jishnu sanyal said...

God bless them..and you guys as well..