Monday, September 07, 2020

Selling Broken Dreams


Almost seven years since I’ve left home and relocated to an alien city, which I’m forced to call home. Mumbai is not too bad, except for when the monsoon season hits or if you commute by trains. Bless your soul, if you belong to the latter category. The memories of being pushed and shoved mercilessly, along with having things stolen are too fresh in my mind. 

The next issue I have with this city, is the lack of authentic South Indian food. No, idli sambar and dosa alone do not compromise South Indian food. That’s like saying Punjabis eat only Butter Chicken and Shahi Paneer all day.

My quest to find authentic Malayalee food, began the minute I settled into my new home and life. I’ve stumbled across a myriad of Mumbai’s version of South Indian food. I’ve gone to hole in the wall places, high end restaurants and even road side shacks, but none could satiate my craving. 

I finally came across an Instagram profile of a chef, who put up stories faster than I could change my baby’s soiled diapers. He seemed legitimate. He claimed to be from Kerala and had items on the menu such as Amma’s Karimeen and Ammumma’s Ada Payasam. The images to go along with these dishes looked mouth watering as well. I was sold. I convinced my non Malayalee husband (who hates most Indian food, including that of his hometown) and we ordered food from this restaurant not once, not twice, but thrice!

There was nothing authentic about the food, it was far from being Malayalee food. It gave us bad stomachs and it costed a bomb. Triple whammy! I was gutted, to say the very least. To that chef selling broken dreams on a plate, may you also get diarrhoea like we did. And may you also have your culinary heart broken, the way you broke mine. 

Your knowledge of regional cuisine may be spot on, but your handling of each delicate ingredient is absolute rubbish. This entire episode has taught me one very important lesson. Time to turn to every Malayalee's favourite family channel, Asianet and watch some good old fashioned cooking shows. 

The legacy of people live on in their food. Time to create my own. Onwards and upwards! Or in this case, kitchenward. 

(Image Source : https://images.app.goo.gl/mRtNQAh3tWyLWncr5) 


No comments: