Sunday, August 23, 2020

Tough Love

What a crazy day of mothering I've had! It started with my drama queen son banging his head on my face and throwing it back hysterically, simply because I did not give him his bottle of water. Finally I relented, as I could not take the emotional blackmailing anymore. The very next second, he turned it upside down and rubbed the nipple all over the balcony floor, whereby flooding our once dry balcony. And before I could react to that, he was swimming inside the little puddle he had created like a starfish. 

Once I cleaned up that mess, I took him to another balcony in our house. He played there for a little while and then I decided to take him down for a walk. The thirty minute exercise did him a world of good, as he came back home a little sober and sleepy.

I quickly gave him his lunch and took him to bed, for his afternoon siesta. As I walked around our bed to draw the curtains in our room, champion climbed up the headboard and did a dolphin dive. The distance between our bed and the curtains, can be covered in less than five seconds. In this time, sir had done the deed.

It then took me one hour of pacifying, to make him fall asleep. I had to take him to our living room, turn on Alexa with Cocomelon nursery rhymes blaring in full force and rock him atop me. In that semi sleepy state, I quietly lay him down on our bed. But, he quickly sprang open his eyes and clambered back on me, like a komodo dragon. 

So there I was, lying crushed under my 10.7 kilo child, sleepy and tired. I wondered when the day would end. By evening, I was too tired to go for my evening run. So, the husband decided to take us for a short drive. The little devil was pleased with the sights and sounds outside the car. He bounced on my lap excitedly and tugged on his father's face, from the backseat.

We reached home by 8pm. I quickly whipped up a meal for him and sat down with him to offer it to him. Three bites and ten "NO"s with the emphatic waving of the hands later, my husband decided to chip in. We distracted him with my jewellery. But before we could finish the meal, he threw up on our bed and my precious collection of junk jewellery, which I had been collecting ever since I was a little girl.

Exhausted and ready to give up, we resorted to Cerelac. It was 10pm when he finally fell asleep and we heaved a sigh of relief watching his calm breathing. What a day! What an afternoon! And what a night! When exactly does all this get better?! 

No comments: