Tuesday, November 23, 2021

Being a Public Relations Professional


My mother's dream for me was to become a doctor, my grandmother told me to become a lawyer and my sports teacher was convinced I would become the next Badminton sensation with the right training. I nodded along to everyone's suggestions as I had no fixed ambition or goal in mind. I was simply an innocent people pleaser. But through it all I always knew that I loved people. I loved forming friendships and I fell madly in love with whoever I met. According to Google, this obsessive nature of friendship means I'm a deeply lonely person. Perhaps, I am.

When school ended, I still had no idea what I wanted to do. So I enrolled myself for a B.sc Electronic Media course, which was a mish-mash of all the forms of media available. Did I want to be a journalist? Did I want to be a news anchor? I was still confused. So I dabbled a little with print media, didn't like that, packed my bags and went back home. Next, I enrolled myself for a Masters in Public Relations, the course was easy and mundane. 

The first job I picked up after finished my Masters course was a dealbreaker. I loved my bosses, my colleagues, the work environment and my clients. I finally found my ocean to swim in. I was a happy little fish. I loved my job despite it's myriad challenges.

The good days were really great and the bad, absolutely lousy. And i miss it. I wonder when I'll be able to get back to it with a hyper toddler at home. Do I want to get back to it? The work hours with my last agency were erratic. They expected me to work endlessly, like I had no one waiting for me to get back home. 

Do I get back into P.R or a purely content writing role or should I dabble in teaching? I'm at a crossroads. One thing I know for sure is that whatever I do, it must involve an interesting set of people. Colleagues make everything livelier. Without them, what is the point of going to work? 

(Image Source : https://digitaluncovered.com/best-public-relations-agencies-in-india/) 

 

No comments: