"Sleep when the baby sleeps" is definitely the most nonsensical advice given to mothers since time immemorial. My baby hasn't slept since 8 January 2019, and he hasn't let me sleep either. He is now seven and a half years old. My power naps and gorgeous weekend siestas are completely ruined by my little T-Rex, who jumps on me with full force, shakes me violently, and finally tries to stuff Lego pieces up my nose and ears.
So no, ladies and gentlemen, "sleep when the baby sleeps" is the most factually incorrect advice ever passed down from one generation to the next.
As I mentioned to someone yesterday, most people are cranky and emotionally dysregulated. Do you know how that happens? A lack of sleep. To emphasize this further, I said, "I am the drama if I don't sleep." I need my glorious seven to eight hours at night, along with the occasional 45-to-60-minute power nap during the weekends.
To quote Iron Man: "You can take away my house, all my tricks and toys, but one thing you can't take away—I am Iron Man."
Now, to reword this for me: "You can take away my power nap, and I'll turn into a sleepy, emotionally dysregulated menace. I'll snap at you, and you, and you!"
Just let me sleep, my child! And children everywhere, allow your mothers to sleep.
*Big, fat, sleep-deprived, sorrowful sigh.*
No comments:
Post a Comment