Saturday, October 15, 2022

Center Stage


The stage, my favourite place to be. Being the center of attention and trying hard to be the life of the party, are two obsessive behaviours, I can't seem to let go of. "Well behaved women, seldom make history", said Pulitzer Prize winning historian Laurel Thatcher Ulrich. I don't agree 100% to this quote, I agree 1000%

It took me a decade of being a communications professional, to make me realise I love people. No scratch that, I'm infatuated with people. Big crowds, excite me. Not only do I love interacting with strangers and dissecting their personal and professional history, I also want to champion their voice, drag them into the limelight and give them the recognition they rightfully deserve.

Thank God and my mother, for pushing me into P.R and Corporate Communications! Growing up, I was the youngest on both sides of the family. So family gatherings automatically meant I sang in front of large audiences, got molly-coddled beyond recognition and was throughouly pampered by all the adults and the children of the family. 

I was a hideously behaved little baby, who then grew up into a hideously behaved teenager and a woman. I'm loud, I'm rebellious, I'm stubborn and I'm opinionated. I'd like to thank my parents, grandparents, my siblings and my sister in law today, for just letting me be. 

Had these individuals not fostered an environment where I could just speak my heart out, I wouldn't have had the confidence to rebel at work. And rebelling at work is a great thing! You're recognised for your madness and for never sticking to the rule book. 

I get into roaring arguments with my bosses. Luckily, I've always worked with great ones, who give in to me 50% of the time, as they understand there is no changing me. I'm a rebel without a cause and always will be. 

Everyone has a calling and a place in life. A rejection somewhere is an acceptance elsewhere. "So stay sharp and stay focused", as my big brother always says. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

👍👍👏👏