Saturday, October 08, 2022

Chennai, My Beautiful Misunderstood Chennai

Eight years. Eight years is the time it took me to understand what an under-rated gem of a city Chennai is. While Mumbai has ten malls in a 5 km radius, Chennai might have one or zero. While Delhi gorged on McDonald's and Nirulas in the early 90s, Chennai had Buharis and Woodlands. 

There has never been a dearth of talent from this humble city. Indra Nooyi, Sundar Pichai, Shiv Nadar, Mallika Srinivasan, Mani Ratnam, A R Rahman - the list is endless. The problem is, we're quiet, we're humble and we keep our heads down and just keep working hard.

As a decade old PR professional, my only advice to my home city, is to speak up, show off and brag a little bit about our achievements. It's about time, don't you think? 

Chennai, the fourth largest metropolitan city in the country. My darling Chennai, home to Stella Maris College, D.A.V Gopalapuram, M.O.P Vaishnav College, IIT Madras, Asian College of Journalism, Madras Christian College and Madras School of Social Work, which has given birth to some of the finest brains in arts, science and professional streams.

There is nothing we Chennaites can't do, if we set our minds to it. Why is it then, that "outsiders" hate our city so much? Is it the weather? (Delhi is hotter) Is it the people? (Mumbaites are all Salman Khans, with a lot of love to give, but from a distance). 

Is it the food? Nope. I draw a line when it comes to food. Not only do we have the best South Indian restaurants, we have been home to the most authentic Thai, Pan-asian and sizzler restaurants, before I could even step out of my diapers. So let's not even go there.

While residing in lonely Mumbai, for eight dreary years, I got violent anytime an "outsider", made fun of my precious Chennai. How dare they?! Chennai is mine and mine alone. Only I can make fun of my city. They had no right!

Chennai is a big city, with all the feels of a small town. Chennaiites are warm and genuine. The pressures of the corporate world, go hand in hand with raising a toddler. You are appreciated as a woman stepping out to work, with a toddler at home. Corporates in Chennai are big on family values. Something that soulless large organizations in Mumbai can't even begin to fathom or understand. 

There are plenty of opportunities in Chennai for ambitious students and working professionals, for the quiet stay at home folks and even for retired folks (like my restless 71 year old father!) There is something for everyone here. 

Chennai, where the traditional goes hand in hand with the modern. Chennai, the land of kutcheris and discotheques. Chennai, the land of masala dosa and Belgian waffles. Chennai, the land of freshly brewed filter coffee and CCD/Starbucks/Mocha. 

Chennai, my sweet sweet Chennai. I'm so glad to be back home, after so long. You will never hear a goodbye from me again. I promise. 

No comments: