My child has been having his second-sibling talk for over a year now, and the questions and requests are quite persistent, ranging from, "Can you grow another baby in your tummy for me?" to, "So what if we don't have a father? Can't you make a little baby brother for me?"
And let me tell you, most of these very intimate questions are asked in the middle of very public spaces — at a play zone, inside a cab, in a restaurant. I'm pretty sure we're scandalising other children, parents, cab drivers, waiters and entire families.
"What will happen if the father dies one day after the baby comes out of the Mumma's tummy?"
"I think I want a father too."
When the questions and requests get more and more complex, I offer to take him to my gynaecologist, who can explain our situation to him in much more graphic detail.
I mentioned this conversation to my good friend of over a decade, and she said, "Yes, Gayatri, we've had this conversation before, remember? We both wanted baby #2."
The yearning for baby #2 started about a year and a half after I had my first. My late husband looked petrified at the mere mention of it, and before I could blink an eyelid, he was gone. So perhaps that yearning will only remain a yearning — in this lifetime, at least.
My urge to be a mother was always greater than my urge to be a wife or a corporate slave. I'm happy to give it all up and stay at home like a golden goose, hatching one little baby after another and cooking elaborate meals for them.
Here's the catch, though: I still haven't mastered the art of cooking for the existing fruit of my loins. He calls my cooking "a piece of poop", "garbage" and "rotten".
So while the mother in me probably cries herself to sleep a little every night, somewhere between the yearning and the guilt of not being able to produce baby #2, I'm grateful for baby #1, at least, who is quite a handful.
As always, I choose the path of counting all my existing blessings and keep moving forward — for that's the only logical course of action: to always keep moving forward.
In the meantime, if anyone wants babysitting duties, I'm always around, along with my mini-me, who is obsessed with all babies and little children.
No comments:
Post a Comment