My late husband absolutely hated it when I rode my Scooty Pep. The only time I ever heard him scream like a teenage girl was in 2009, when he sat behind me on my bike and we rode off to eat the juiciest burgers in Chennai at an open-air restaurant called Mash, facing Besant Nagar Beach.
A couple of months later, I broke my shoulder, underwent keyhole surgery and transformed into a very crabby, smelly Captain Haddock because I was forced into four months of bed rest, with a pin inside my right arm to fix my broken shoulder.
From that day until the day he died, he hated bikers and my love for bikes. He would call every biker on the road a "housefly" and keep saying, "See how safe our car is, Poopie? Thanks to this car, you can dress up in your Fernandes Aunty flowery dresses and keep touching up your lipstick. You're welcome!"
Now, fast-forward to sometime early this year, when I met someone for dinner. He then offered to drop me home on his bike. I was wearing a tight, flowy satin skirt, and it was just impossible to sit on that machine of his. Every time he went over a bump, I thought my child was definitely going to become an orphan that night. My hair was a mess, and my face looked like Ava Max's in "Sweet but Psycho".
Now, this chap had the audacity to tell me to wear pants the next time I met him. There was no next time because I don't wear pants, sir. Why? Because I'm a lady. I wear only tight skirts and flowy dresses of every variety.
Moving firmly on to a gigantic SUV now, to fulfil my responsibilities as a responsible parent and a midlife-crisis aunty. Bikes are so 2009.
Onto newer dreams now!
No comments:
Post a Comment