Monday, May 23, 2011

Going the Distance


Mumbai. A city I’ve grown to love because the man I love lives there. Period! Three years ago I left home, didn’t take up my first amazing job offer and slogged it out in an alien city doing a job I hated – all for the sake of love. I would never let my children be so stupid, that I guarantee you dear reader. I was stupid; I don’t know what I was thinking. But my stupidity paid off. I am the happiest woman in the whole world now.

I had a refreshing five day break in Mumbai the past week – my millionth trip to the city by the way and on the flight enroute Mumbai, guess which movie I saw? ‘Going the Distance’ It’s a rom-com about a couple who try to make their long distance relationship work. Relationships are a bitch. It either fucks you over completely or makes you feel like a billion bucks. Throw long distancing to that equation and it’s a living nightmare. Poopie and I (Yes, we call each other Poopie. Don’t ask how. I don’t remember the details too well either) have spent so much time apart that when we are together for the first two days I’m a little disoriented. It takes time for it to sink in that I’m finally in a functional adult relationship and it’s not ending. Ever! Even if we have the worst fights, I know we’re for life.

I’ve had my share of non-relationships. I’ve met the slimey kind, the stinky kind, the musician kind, the smart alec kind, the pervert kind, the God complex kind and the just plain jerk kind. Poopie’s not perfect either, but he’s perfect for me. He accepts me with all my flaws which would include (1) my violent mood swings, (2) my not so great social skills (he is super friendly and has an army of best friends) (3) my perennial hunger and then guilt for binging just to name a few.

I hate leaving Mumbai and I hate (right up to the bottom of my toes) leaving him behind. Without Poopie my life is in shades of grey. I hate dolling up. I lose interest in food. I hate just being happy. I’m tired of missing him and I’m tired of long-distancing.

We have a three year plan which I don’t want to mention now. The ball is in motion and we’re chasing it. Once we get there I will blog about it. It will be titled, “The Victory Dance”.

2 comments:

Prachi Jain said...

Hey Gayatri,
This is Prachi, Raj's classmate once in NSIT. I expect Raj to have told you that I love your blog! Came across it through his FB profile.

Just wanted to tell you that - honesty, wit and mush just drips from ur posts and I am a complete fan!!Write more often,babes :):)

And on this particular entry, I'd tell you from personal experience, long-distance thing is toughest to do but the best stories to tell when you grow old together! :) So stay happy!!

Moo said...

Hi Gayatri,

Mukta here (@mooodles) here. :) Bipro made me watch 'Going the Distance' when we went for a chhuti to Goa and I know just what you mean about 'long-distancing'. I hated it for the first month we went through, so I can't even imagine holding on for 3 years! Hats off to you.

But it's all worth it in the end, right? We haven't even met, but seeing pics of you guys makes me very happy for sure and I do hope it is like that forever!

And on a side note, happy anniversary! :) Cheers!

Moo.