Tuesday, November 16, 2021

The Movie Hall Experience

I've been a lover of the big screen for as long as I can remember. One movie a week was a necessity ever since I started my undergraduation. My friends were subject to it, my parents and now my husband. But ever since we became parents, this exercise seemed like a distant dream. The pandemic didn't help either. 

Today however, we decided to step out for a movie after what seemed like an eternity! We left the toddler behind with my ever-helpful in-laws. Our departure from home depended on the toddler's eating schedule, so we didn't pre-book a movie. We drove to R City Mall, Ghatkopar (the closest mall from our house) as fast as we could, rushed to Inox and booked ourselves two tickets for Marvel's newly released movie "Eternals".

I'm a big Marvel and DC fan, but I had no idea Marvel had released a new movie. The biggest advantage of the pandemic was that, the movie industry had to release everything on streaming platforms (which I lapped up eagerly for the past 2.5 years). To save time (we're toddler parents, so time is everything. Leaving a toddler at home is a ticking time bomb, that's just waiting to explode!) I told my husband to book tickets while I select snacks. He looked at me with amused eyes and said through his mask, "Poopie, you've forgotten how it's like to watch movies in the theatre haven't you? Who is going to allow you inside without the tickets?"

Fast forward to three hours inside the movie hall; my mind was blown away with the storyline and visual effects of Eternals while my husband grunted a few times, staring at his phone impatiently. "When will this end?", he kept muttering under his breath. The minute the movie ended, we rushed to the food court, gobbled down two burgers and proceeded towards the car.

Not a spectacular day, I agree. But a completely out of the world experience for us as we had no screechy toddler to deal with. Just two messy burgers, a Tandoori chai and an imaginative, nicely shot movie. I reminisced about Tony Stark, Captain America and Black Widow for there was plenty of mention of Thanos and the Avengers throughout the film. 

I reminded the husband about the tears I shed when Tony Stark died and how I hated our son to grow up in a world without the Iron Man. He quickly told me to grow up. I said I will not for there is no shame in shedding tears for superheros.

Do watch movies in the big screen. It really is something! Take it from a tired toddler mom and a movie enthusiast. 

No comments: