Sunday, August 07, 2022

Single Mother


It's crazy how we're supposed to just live,
After the death of a loved one, we are expected to thrive,

And pretend everything is fine,
While all that was once ours and mine,

Has vanished, without a trace,
There are moments I feel out of place,

Like an alien, from outer space,
Until I catch a glance of my son's mischevious face,

He is my reason,
To live and thrive, every season,

I can't fail him, not now, not ever,
He is clever,

He understands my melancholy,
And catches my every folly,

The night I saw my husband's motionless body,
Was also the night I realised, I am somebody,

Somebody beyond just a wife,
I am responsible for an innocent life,

This is who I am now,
A single mother, who refuses to cow down to death, I will not allow,

The absence of a father,
To ever be a bother.

No comments: