Wednesday, September 30, 2026

When My Almost-8-Year-Old Suddenly Becomes Tiny Again

Not sure what stage of parenting I’m in right now because my almost-8-year-old is behaving like a toddler again.

The clinginess is at its peak, and keeping up with school and work schedules is getting harder.

He’s suddenly scared of everything — a wasp, the geyser that may burst while he’s bathing, and a dark room without me (okay, I’ll let him have the last one).

When I point out this bizarre behaviour, he replies, “But Maamaa, I’m still so tiny. You are so big.”

It’s fascinating how many times they can grow big and tiny in a single day, depending on their choice of activity at that particular moment.

Fiddling around on the phone — big person.
Having to use the bathroom — small person.
Keeping dirty utensils in the sink after eating from them — small person.
And so on.

Most mornings, my internal voice tells him, *“Come on, little dude. Today is the day you cut me some slack and let me eat breakfast in peace.”*

Externally, though, I’m transformed into a T-Rex, roaring at him to get out of the house by 8:05 a.m. because school starts at 8:25.

I’m still off sugar, so I’m not quite sure how I’m going to survive all of the above.

Send sugar-free treats ASAP! Babysitting duties are also welcome.

Not sure who the baby is anymore, though.

No comments: