Sunday, June 14, 2009

Born Confused..


Born Confused, is a delightful read by Tanuja Desai Hidier. You could call it a chick-lit, for the fact that the protagonist is an ABCD teenage girl, who is going through her awkward coming of age years. The sentence construction and all the extra adds on to almost every fourth passage of the book, is a treat for every chick-lit reader.

Born Confused is a serious chick-lit, that deals with the protagonist, trying to find her roots, the relationship she shares with her American best friend and of course boys.

I believe on close reading Ms. Desai is talking about her own life, it is impossible to pen down such strong emotions, unless you've actually experienced them yourself. The protagonist is often jealous and in awe of her somewhat slutty, white best friend. American Indians have always raised eyebrows and we've always wondered how brown skinned people, can be so lost and un-Indian. It's a hard life for them, as this book clearly describes, what with identity crisis and finding your own ground in a land dominated by the gorgeous white skinned folks.

There's really no difference between the kids growing up in India and the ones who grow up abroad. We all go through the same thing really, such as snogging boys, being unhappy with too round bodies, keeping up with the fashion trends even if it doesn't suit our figures and the age old arranged 'love' marriage system.

I couldn't keep the book down simply because of Ms Desai's fabulous writing style. She writes an ordinary passage and out of the blue she throws in a few 'food for thought' sentences. After slamming the book shut reluctantly, at the end of the last page, I thought to myself, if ever I write I book, I hope it's as good as this one.

Ms. Desai, you have a new fan. *salutes your creativity*

8 comments:

DPhatsez said...

chick-lit

New one..(taking notes).. :)

munchkin said...

I must read a lot of Indian authors man. chick lits are the best to give u an ego boost and emotional high.

I like the shopaholic series! :) have u read them? :)

I must pick this one up right away :)

cm chap said...

Nice review...

You made my curiostiy go high.. I will read ths for sure...

Mahi said...

Even I've been reading quite a lot of books written by Indian authors, lately. Interesting review you've put up there. And i'm so gonna read this one:)

HaRy!! said...

Just new here mam...i'll try to get that book and read it down!

Hary

Jaggu said...

Nice one! My blog is updated

Ekta said...

hadnt heard of this one before...but after reading this will try and get my hands on it..!

Jaggu said...

Updated my blog.