Monday, December 04, 2017

The Joy of Being a Tomboy


I was a tomboy much before Kuch Kuch Hota Hai's Anjali ever existed. I was a tomboy even before the word "tomboy" was invented. (I think!) And let me assure you, those were the best years of my life. I loved my silky boxer shots, my toy guns and my rad BSA ladybird cycle. I came back home everyday, with mud in my hair and gigantic cuts on my chubby legs.

I hadn't stepped into a beauty parlour till I was 24. Most liberating 24 years of my life! I didn't thread my eyebrows or wax until my post graduation and my third job. I hated girly-girls. (Still do!) And I hated "friendly" advice, starting with what undergarments to wear and what facials to do. That kind of talk, still puts me to sleep.

I firmly believe, there is much more to life than looking like a dressed up little porcelain doll. Looks fade eventually, but a good sense of humour and intelligence never will. So read, instead of spending  pointless hours in the beauty parlour. Hone a talent, instead of spending wasteful hours obsessing about which shoe, jewellery or dress you must own before it goes out of fashion.

And most importantly, please stop with the preachy, overly friendly "girly advice". Let women be. It really is women, who let other women down. Sad reality! I've experienced this both at home and in the office. 

I personally think, tomboys grow up to be the best women and life partners. We have the ability to think like a man and a woman, at the same time. We get along with men, as easily as we do with women. We have zero inhibitions and are chilled out 90% of the time. We can be both emotional and unemotional, which makes us clear thinkers in the most toughest of situations. Most importantly, we're solid "dudes". You can rely on us, with your life. 

Three cheers to being a tomboy! We're unique and one of a kind. Let's not allow anyone to dull our quirky sparkle. 

(Image Source : https://www.pinterest.com/pin/526921225127391018/)

No comments: