Thursday, December 29, 2022

Riaan's Mumma

There is no greater feeling that being a parent. You will be entertained and tormented 24*7. There is no "me-time" or free time, once you have a little devil to tend to. And they are, the spawn of the devil himself, let no one tell you otherwise! 

Let me also tell you though, in the chaos, the screaming and the mess, you will find yourself falling more and more in love with your child. It's almost feels like you waited for this tiny person your whole life. How did you even exist without him for so long?

I was very clear I wanted a son, until I had a son. Now i look at little girls, their fluffy little dresses and long to be a girl-mom. The maternal instinct in me, has always been very high. 

I was more excited to become a mom, than the day I got married or got a promotion or a pay hike. You could say, the day, I became a mom, was the most defining moment of my life. Nothing gave me greater joy, if you can ignore the initial few months of perennial nursing, filled with no sleep and post-partum depression. 

New born maamaas and babies are both grouchy and cranky. Thread with caution! Never visit a new born when you're sick, don't kiss them on the face and don't hang around their house for endless hours. Both individuals need sleep or food or Netflix! So just let them be. Visiting a new born is only exciting for you, never for the infant or the mother. 

As cliched as it may sound, with the birth of a child, a mother is born too. Babies don't come with user manuals or remote controls, so you learn on the job. And it's the best job in the world. 

Your mornings and nights are incomplete without their cuddles and "I love yous". The excruciating pain of child-birth is all worth it, as you watch them grow into the intelligent, entertaining beings that they are. 

I'm blessed to be born as Riaan's Mumma. I pray we keep finding our way back to each other, in this birth and the next. 

No comments: