Sunday, August 23, 2026

Back to the Office: Terrified, Unprepared, and Grilled by My 7-Year-Old

After close to two years of working remotely, I have been called back to the office. I am absolutely terrified. I feel like a five-year-old who forgot to do her homework, knowing both of her principals are waiting at school to give her a lecture. My nervousness is at an all-time high. 

Where will I sit to begin with? Will I be moving from one desk to another like a game of passing the parcel? Furthermore, my office laptop hasn't been connected to the corporate Wi-Fi in almost two years, so how am I even going to work? 

I have passed my fears on to everyone at home. My seven-year-old has been reassuring me, saying, "Nothing will happen to you, mama, don't be scared!" However, he followed that up with unnecessary technical questions about my laptop, asking which processor it uses and the exact model name. When I confirmed that I am not a laptop engineer and haven't bothered to check those details, he tut-tuted, smacked his forehead with his little hands, and said, "How can you be like this, mama?" 

The little boss at home is all set to manage things by himself today alongside his grandmother. Meanwhile, the anxiety in my head is incredibly real. Will anyone want to sit with me during lunchtime? Will the people I met two years ago even remember me? 

I have so many questions, the answers to which I will discover over the course of this week. A very scared remote worker is officially off to the office. Wish me luck!

No comments: