Friday, August 21, 2026

The Vicious Cycle of Trauma Dumping

We all trauma dump on friends and family about the million life issues we face. For example, the very first sentence I uttered to my mother yesterday when she called was, "Mumma, I'm very cranky today. I'm not coming home. But what is there to eat?" Based on her answer, I selfishly decided to walk up to my parents' house anyway. Everyone has trauma and a certain trauma tolerance level. Some people survive our venting, and some do not. Family members, unfortunately, are stuck with it. 

As another example, I get drunk on just one glass of a cocktail. My brother and sister-in-law then look super worried and stuff every carb in the world down my throat to absorb the alcohol. I am a very sloppy drinker because I rarely drink. During those "once in a blue moon" occasions when I do sip a cocktail, all the sadness in the world rushes to my brain. Suddenly, I become the world's unluckiest woman. It is a horrible cycle of self-pity and dramatic, doomsday thinking: "My life is over now. What else is left to do?" 

Meanwhile, my son trauma dumps on me from morning to night. I have realized that mothers are often treated like emotional punching bags. Children dump their burdens, and we just have to let them. I listen to all his little big life problems and nod along. If I offer suggestions, I am suddenly the worst person in the world. But if I simply empathize, all is well in his world. 

I am not sure if it is right or wrong to dump our trauma on other humans. I admit to doing this with family and really close friends. I have rubbed my scars onto them, and perhaps I shouldn't have. Yet, breaking down occasionally in front of my sister with big, fat tears is quite frankly the best therapy in the world. 

Trauma dumping: what is your take on whether we should or shouldn't do it? Let me know in the comments below!

No comments: