Tuesday, March 08, 2022

Dubai


Once again, you're everywhere,

In the aircraft to Dubai and the man wearing a black t-shirt, sitting on a chair,


Inside Sahara mall's food court, 

The baby began to call out to him, despite my best efforts to thwart,


Him and divert his attention elsewhere,

It's funny, how he hasn't noticed three massive photos of you, hanging just above his chair,


On my sister in law and brother's wall at home,

Perhaps, in his little heart, he didn't want you to perennially roam,


So did I,

As I sat on that 4 hour flight to Dubai,


I wondered why you spent so much time away from us, 

Catching flight after flight, without a fuss,


You looked like a dead man on Fridays,

While the baby and I spent, countless days,


Filled with loneliness and anticipation,

But we did it, without hesitation, 


For the man we both loved,

We still do, despite feeling unloved,


In the horrible moments, filled with your gaping absence,

Especially today and yesterday, where I found myself lulled into a melancholic silence, 


Each time the baby said "Look maamaa, Baba's Starbucks",

And "Look maamaa, there's Baba", no such luck,


For my poor baby and me,

Who are forever fatherless and husbandless, perhaps our pain will be the key,


To unlocking life's myriad mysteries,

Beginning with your senseless death and in answering my baby's constant inquires,


About why you left us,

In your signature style, sans a fuss. 

No comments: