Thursday, September 22, 2022

Anu Aunty


Anu aunty; devoted mother, fabulous cook and my lovely neighbour for the last 18 years. The thing about Anu aunty, is that she's not your typical nosy neighbour, who snoops around for no reason. She makes an appearance at all the right times and says and does all the right things, when you need it the most. 

So is she just a neighbour? In my son's words, "nopey nope!" Anu aunty for my toddler is "akka", "best friend" and according to Seetharaman uncle (aunty's husband), "Riaan's girlfriend". It was love at first sight, for Riaan. He can't get enough of aunty and her house full of baby trinkets. 

Anu aunty has held my hands during my darkest hours. She held my bloodied, mangled hand out of an autorickshaw in 2009 and took me to the hospital for a shoulder surgery. She warned me, to never touch a two-wheeler in my life again. She was the person I held and cried for hours, when my husband died. We had impossible conversations, about death and communicating with souls. 

She has pulled me out of depressive bouts of madness with freshly brewed filter coffee, paruppu vadai, saambar saadam and fryums.

She's an expert on many things. She is well networked and knows many people. So if you want to join M.M.A classes, eat out at a unique restaurant, are confused about which swami-bhajan you must hear first thing in the morning and when you're pregnant - Anu aunty is the person to go to. 

There's nothing she doesn't know. She is a human encyclopaedia filled with hard facts, statistical figures and first hand experiences. You must know the right questions to ask and she will give you a well-researched and detailed answer. 

I've never left Anu aunty's house feeling glum. She has always lifted my spirits or enriched me, with a wealth of knowledge.

It would be unfair to write about Anu aunty, without mentioning Adhithi, her daughter. Adhithi and I were best friends, for as long as I can remember. She was a sweet, naughty little baby, who regularly pulled my nose ring abruptly and without warning, right in the middle of a serious game. I've been invited for Adhithi's birthday parties, I've met all her baby friends and now she's grown into a graceful young woman. Time truly flies!

I'm not sure what mental and physical state, I would have been in today, if it weren't for Anu aunty's timely interventions. I'm blessed to have her as my neighbour, counselor and supplier of endless freshly brewed, filter coffee cups.

3 comments:

Anuradha Balaram said...

we all need Anu Aunties in our life - long live

SelviJulian said...

This is such a lovely article on an aunty next door... This lovely write up speaks about nothing but LOVE... A love filled simple minded Anu...last when we saw was as classmates in our HolyAngelsSchool
uniforms, 44yrs ago..now it feels so good to know and to read such a lovely portrayal on you Anu... 👌🏻

Anonymous said...

Wow.The writer has summed up very nicely about Anu, who is a sadhavadhani .I n my family is always proud to have known this extraordinary woman wife mother friend