Saturday, January 22, 2022

Starbucks

“She’s picked up her husband’s habit of drinking coffee whenever she steps out”

Announced my mother loudly, without a smidgen of doubt, 


It hit me then,

You’ve imprinted yourself on my thoughts, personality and tastebuds, time and time again, 


Whether I like it or not,

Your personality and mine, are tied together like a stubborn, untieable knot,


Starbucks played an impermeable role in your life,

Your tongue transformed into a thoughtless knife,


Whenever you hadn’t consumed your tall glass of Americano for the day, 

I stayed out of the way,


Not all the time of course,

For you were my eternal source, 


Of sugar and spice and everything nice, just like the Power Puff girls,

You were my grumpy, Power Puff girl,


Riaan and I were your loyal lost boys,

You had us wrapped around your stubby  fingers, with dark chocolate and toys, 


I didn’t have the courage to face a Starbucks logo,

Since you’ve been gone, but 25,000 filter coffees later, I might just walk into one and drink some hot cocoa,


Along with your favourite, creamy spinach and corn pocket,

My foolish heart might soar up like a rocket,


In the hopes of trying to bump into you there,

In your favourite coffee pub chair. 

No comments: