Sunday, January 02, 2022

The Power Of Chocolate


Chocolate has played a very important role in our romance. I'm convinced, without chocolate I may not have fallen so madly in love with poopie. Right from our first week of being together as a couple, poopie began showering me with chocolates. He bought me junk jewellery and chocolate dough balls. I knew in a heart-beat this was the man for me. Carbs oozing with chocolate and artificial plastic earrings. What more could a girl want?

He wouldn't dare enter the house on Friday nights without pastries and chocolates from Starbucks or the airport. It was his way of saying, "I love you". On one of those Friday nights he crazily offered to take me to Lower Parel, to eat a Double Chocolate Chip cookie from Sweetish House Mafia. So there we were, two tired work-ravaged souls (him more ravaged than me, of course), who jumped into their little red car and drove all the way from Kandivali to Lower Parel. All for the love of chocolate. 

Yet another Saturday morning found him offering to take me to Chocolateria San Churro. So off we went, from Kandivali to Juhu and then Juhu to Bandra. The Juhu outlet didn't have thick dark chocolate, only the milky one. So naturally, we had to go to the Bandra outlet. 

To make up for missing the birth of his son, he purchased tons of chocolate cookies, chocolate lollipops and chocolate tarts. Before he said, "Hi", he placed that big cardboard box of goodies on my lap. Before I could scream, "WHERE THE HELL WHERE YOU!?", a chocolate cookie was stuffed down my throat. Then he held his child with moist eyes and kissed him in peace.

When we went to Disneyland in Hong Kong, he didn't bother asking me what I wanted. He ordered a piping hot mug of hot chocolate with chocolate mickey ears for me and a black coffee for him. 

Whenever we had roaring fights at home, he would personally step out of home and pick up a box of Theobroma brownies, or have it home delivered. 

Whenever we went to Starbucks he encouraged me to drink their hot chocolate or stick to plain black coffee, but I always ended up trying their terrible tasting seasonal drinks by falling for their fancy marketing gimmicks. And then poopie, would shake his head in disappointment and mutter, "Why doesn't she ever listen to me"

Molten lava cake from Chili's, sizzling brownie from Cafe Coffee Day and the massive chocolatey dessert from Hard Rock Cafe; if there is a restaurant in Bombay with a gigantic chocolate dessert, poopie and I have demolished it.

He did love me, that carefree college kid, who turned into a work obsessed demon towards the end. He did, in his own, twisted way. Music, work, toddler, wife. Perhaps, this was the order in which he loved.

No comments: