Monday, January 17, 2022

What Were You Thinking

I didn't want diamond rings,
Or a fancy holiday in spring,

The baby wasn't wearing diapers made of gold,
He was your personal human sausage, waiting to be rolled,

So what were you thinking,
As you kept drinking,

Unending mugs of black coffee,
All for some imaginative corporate toffee,

That you so badly wanted to swallow,
You've turned our lives completely hollow,

You never worked for the baby and me,
You worked for your own self satisfaction and glee,

You wanted the adulation, love and respect,
You wanted to be better than the best,

I get it, I really do,
Even I worked only for those cues,

But not at the cost of my health and me-time,
When I heard the clock's 6pm chime,

I would be the first to shut down from work,
Unless there was a really pressing task to finish, then I would go berserk,

Your everyday at work, had a pressing task,
Not one day, did I see you remove your stressed, worried looking mask,

Was a client really more important, than your precious sleep,
Your eyes flew open, with the alarm's very first beep,

Many a time, I turned it off,
Risking the chance of a face-off,

With an irritated, sleep-deprived spouse,
Were you really a lion at work or just a meek mouse?

Who just shook his head like a puppet,
You were never a Muppet,

No, the poopie I knew was smarter than that,
Then tell me, why you fell flat, 

In the hands of strangers,
Instead of being at home with me, while breathing your last,

You were supposed to be my partner in life and death,
But you've abruptly left, leaving me with so many breaths. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Gayatri, I was Rajarshi's junior at college. I would like you to know that I read every single one of your posts. I think it will help me and many others to realise what's truly important in life and make better decisions. Thank you so much for publishing these.